Wednesday, September 19, 2012

digital life


New media has affected our daily lives tremendously. Not only do my classmates depend on it, even some of the teachers use social networking sites to communicate with us. Its not just a teenage tool now!  To make things more interesting, I wrote a poem about how new media has affected our lives.Enjoy:)

I used to have a friend,
who used facebook all day,
during breakfast, lunch and dinner,
even in the toilet if she may.

"Just a few clicks away!
To three thousand friends."
What is the big deal,
it's only just the latest trend.

But it's not only her, everyone's addicted.
Texting and tweeting wherever they go.
Facebook asked me, "what am i doing"
Just one question though, do you really want to know?

If people gave a dollar,
for every single tweet,
homes could be built
and cancer could be beat

I looked at my friend, glued to the screen.
I wonder if she'll every move from her seat.
"No one's "liking" me!"Then she started to cry.
Oh for god's sake, I shouted with heat.

"Facebook is destroying you,
don't use it from now on!"
My friend gave a nod,
she knows i'm not wrong

After a very long fight,
Finally, i got her off the hook.
But she's turning towards the screen again.
she's announcing her retirement on Facebook!

http://heathergracestewart.com/2009/01/04/a-couple-silly-poems-about-facebook





3 comments:

  1. Nice poem, and yes the addition to instant media is getting a bit out of control, I see all of my other students walking around with their heads buried in their iphones. Not only has instant media affected ppl lives at home, they can now take it with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting poem! I love it so much ;). You can definitely describe the recent situation as people of all age are getting addicted to Facebook. I really love the one you said at the end of the poem, 'she's announcing her retirement on Facebook'. It's a truly authentic act. Thanks for shariing a creative poem with us!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you might like Linda Stone's post on continuous partial attention. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete